Sunday 11 February 2018

First Filipino haircut for Ron (late post, since I just learned how to load videos!)


Last week I was soon to be classified as a "Beatle" with my hair getting long instead of being in the mold of a Mormon Missionary.  Fortunately, we noticed a barber shop across the road from the temple complex so all we had to do was brave the traffic on a busy road first, and then the possibility of being scalped rather than trimmed.  The good news was the price -- only 50 pesos (one dollar) for a haircut.  We are fortunate to have a temple employee who holds up a sign as he goes into the traffic to stop it for pedestrians crossing the road as they leave the temple and/or for any vehicle leaving the temple.  Our crossing was great -- we first had wondered if we would be like most Filipinos and walk  out into the traffic when it was lighter and stand on the line in the middle of the road as other cars, trucks and motorcycles go by or go back and get the help of the crossing "guard."  We headed back, being a bit chicken and a lot cautious.
Back to the hair cut.  So we entered the little shop and I was ushered to a chair.  He first cut a little off the sides with noticeable skill using an electric clipper.  Then he trimmed the edges using a straight razor, then he trimmed a little more off the sides and the back.  It looked good, I thought, and then he took out another clipper guard and took the next layer off -- I was shorne in Filipino style.  He didn't cut much off the top thank goodness -- there isn't much to cut anymore.  I do not need another haircut for over a month now!  What economy!  Mary-Rose said that when she complained a little to the Filipina Sisters about my hair cut they said "guapo, guapo", which being interpreted is "handsome, handsome."  So I should be thrilled with my first Filipino haircut -- money in my pocket and handsome to boot!



No comments:

Post a Comment